The Thankful Thirty
Today is the American holiday Thanksgiving. As an American, you better believe that I’m going to be spending time with my family and shoving my face full of mashed potatoes. Though the food is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving, it’s important that we spend some time reflecting on all of the things we have to be grateful for. Too often we get consumed by the negatives and stress in not only this holiday, but life in general. I encourage you all to do your own thankful thirty, but I thought I would take this time to share mine.
- 1. I am thankful for all the time I have gotten to spend with my family. That I am so close with my mom, dad, and sister, and that I really enjoy spending time with other relatives.
- 2. For my boyfriend of 3 and a half years, with whom I’ve had many ups and downs, but wouldn’t want it any other way. He’s there for me always.
- 3. For my best friend of 19 years, Shelby, who is the Frizz to my Angel. I would not be who I am today without her.
- 4. Steph, Mallory, Prayer Bear, and College Crew. You’re all the MVPs, and I love you all to death. Thanks for making my life much more entertaining.
- 5. My hilarious and perfect nephew who is turning 2 today. For his soon to be baby sister, and their beautiful parents. Family goals.
- 6. 24 hours until I get to go crazy and watch Gilmore Girls with my best friend. The day we’ve been waiting for for 10 years.
- 7. Having a Bachelor’s Degree in a field that I love. I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to do what I want to do.
- 8. Gaming. Splatoon, Mario, The Witness, Overwatch? Heck Yes!
- 9. My creativity. I love that it gives me great joy to create beautiful things. That I get really excited when I see an amazing design.
- 10. I’m thankful for small acts of kindness. For people who seize any opportunity to do the right thing. Friends helping friends, strangers helping strangers. I am so grateful that there are people in the world that care about others.
- 11. Open minded people. People who understand that having different beliefs or opinions is no reason to fear or hate another person. (you know, unless their belief is that all humans should die… then maybe I’d be a little fearful).
- 12. I’m thankful for the military, firefighters, police officers, doctors, etc. People that spend their time fighting for others – saving strangers. People that try to make the world a better and safer place.
- 13. Alcohol. Just had to be said. Beer. Mixed Drinks. Wine. Lay it all on me. (no, but don’t really. I don’t actually drink too much).
- 14. KITTIES AND PUPPIES! and other animals. Gosh, I just love their cute little faces. They can really lift one’s spirits.
- 15. Electronics like my phone, computer, and TV. They’re so necessary to my career and lifestyle in general. It’s 2016’s world, I’m just living in it.
- 16. Laughing until you cry. Having a good laugh is definitely something that I’m thankful for.
- 17. Having a car and being able to go places. I think I can take it for granted a lot, but I really am grateful for that freedom.
- 18. I’m thankful for my upbringing. I’d like to think that I’m kind, courteous, and respectful of others.
- 19. I’m glad that I live in a time and country where I can vote. Where so many are striving for equality. Where we have rights and freedoms.
- 20. Music. My favorite bands. Going to concerts. Partayyyy.
- 21. The beautiful colors of season changes. And that I can sit inside nice and warm when it’s cold and gross out.
- 22. Food, because I love it.
- 23. The smell of rain. Finding the positives even when it’s gross outside.
- 24. Being healthy (for the most part). With all of the scary things happening to people, it’s really comforting to know that I’m healthy. I just wish everyone else could say the same.
- 25. The heart eye emoji, for those times when I want to convey just how much I love something.
- 26. Q-tips for itchy ears… they’re a life saver.
- 27. Dope ass Youtube videos. And Netflix. Those are 2 great ways to spend my time when I’m bored.
- 28. Coffee. Especially Starbucks coffee.
- 29. The Adobe Suite. It’s amazing, and I love it. (also, side note, the oxford comma. always thankful for that and good grammar.)
- 30. Having this blog and the drive and motivation to continue on with it.
So that was my thankful thirty. I applaud those of you who read through all of it. I actually created a site last year called The Happy Jar which was made to collect your “happies”, “positivities”, and “thankfuls” from day to day. Spending time thinking about all you have to be grateful for can help to give you a more positive mentality.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving (or November 24th, for those who don’t celebrate). I certainly intend to. Spread the love and joy, and I’ll see you back here for the next post.